Thursday, January 22, 2009

Causality at its most Chaotic

Just got a stock of Dell Optiplex 360s for a client. I dragged them over to my bench and tried to fire up the first one. Wouldn't boot - just a blinking orange light. I rip the side panel off, and almost immediately, it strikes me that the heatsink isin't quite sitting level with the board. I pull off the whole air-tunnel assembly, remove the heatsink, lift the processor tension clip, and discover........the processor is in backwards. The tech who installed this completely ignored the location of the notches on the processor (The ones that keep the new pinless beauties from Intel from going in backwards) and just shut the tension plate on it anyway. I'm testing it to make sure that the processor hasn't been damaged.

No comments:

Post a Comment